The first annual Postcards from the Heartland summer contest was a lot of fun! Thanks to all who entered. I received 7 entries, and you all got at least one right. Congratulations to Mary Ann Rowe for winning the prize.
Here are the correct answers:
- Ridgeview Railroad Bridge, Olathe. Located over Ridgeview Road north of 135th This Cor-Ten steel sculpture depicts pioneers and a wagon train moving west along the Santa Fe Trail. Sculptor: Stan Herd.
- “Pastoral Dreamer,” Leawood. Located on 133rd Street between Mission Road and Roe Avenue. Bronze. Sculptor: David Phelps.
- Pioneer Crossing Park, Shawnee, Kansas. Located west of I-35 on Shawnee Mission Parkway. Local artist Charles Goslin sculpted the wagon train, along with another sculpture of Shawnee wagon master Dick Williams.
- “Ready for a Grilling,” abstract performance piece on the campus of Johnson County Community College. Once featured in a Zippy the Pinhead comic strip. Sculptor: Dennis Oppenheim.
- “Boy with Frog,” Deanna Rose Children’s Farmstead, Overland Park. Sculptor: Tom Corbin.
[…] Here’s the link to the completed post, We Have a Winner. […]
I am definitely going to keep my eyes open and more aware of these amazing sculptures. Loved the wagon train!
Pioneer Crossing Park is on Shawnee Mission parkway, just west of I-35. It’s small, but there’s a lot to see.
I’ll do another art contest next summer. I didn’t begin to exhaust the subject.
OK… I think I have actually seen the one at JCCC, but I totally forgot! I don’t go to that side of campus very often!